If you like arts and crafts then glass beads are a great thing to stock up on.
There are so many different projects that you can use glass beads for, and they make a wonderful addition to your craft supplies.
They have a shinier, more colorful appearance than wooden beads and are great for reflecting the light for an eye-catching effect.
There are lots of different glass beads that you can buy, but which ones are the best?
We have put together this list of the best glass beads that you can buy online and reviewed each product.
This will make it much easier for you to choose the perfect glass beads for your next homemade craft project.
We have also included a buying guide to help you make your decision. Keep reading to find out more.
Here are our recommendations for the best glass beads:
OUR TOP PICK
These glass beads are decorated with lots of bright colors.
There are many assorted patterns and color schemes which gives you plenty of options when it comes to creating beautiful art.
You can choose from a set of 60 beads or a set of 120 beads depending on how many you need.
The beads already have holes in them which makes it easy for you to thread them.
The holes are different sizes so you can use various materials like cotton thread or yarn.
There is a mixture of lampwork murano beads and other types of glass beads to create an interesting variety.
The beads are perfect for making jewelry or for adding to clothing and fabrics.
- Price - These glass beads are very reasonably priced
- Size - They come in assorted sizes and hole diameters for different craft projects
- Colors - There are lots of different colors included
- Cool tones - some customers found that the beads only came in cool tones and not warm tones
These beads have the appearance of glass or crystal, but they are actually made from high quality acrylic.
This means that they are much more durable and will not break. You can choose from 7 different colors - clear, black, blue, gold, pink, red or multi-colored.
Each pack contains 600 beads of different sizes - 200 8mm beads, 100 6mm beads, and 300 4mm beads.
This gives you lots of options when it comes to creating jewelry or embroidered bead patterns.
The shape of these beads is multi-faceted which means that they reflect the light.
This makes them very eye-catching and gives the appearance of real crystal beads, but for a much lower price.
They are transparent rather than cloudy, and odorless - they don’t have that unpleasant plastic smell of poor quality beads.
The hole size is 1.5mm in diameter which is ideal for elastic strong, cotton or other materials.
- Price - These beads are low in price but high in quality
- Material - The multi-faceted acrylic looks like glass but is much more durable
- Appearance - They are transparent and reflect the light
- Sizes - They come in different sizes
- Packaging - Some customers found that the packaging was not ideal so some of the beads fell out and were loose in the box
This product comes with 1000 glass beads in 10 different colors such as yellow, green, blue, pink, purple and red.
There are also various sizes of beads - 8mm, 6mm and 4mm.
The beads have a multi-faceted shape which makes them look like little gemstones- perfect for crafting jewelry.
The electroplating technology ensures that the colors are vivid but the beads are still transparent.
You can use these beads for lots of different purposes and projects. They already have holes in them so you don’t need to worry about drilling the glass.
These beads come very highly recommended by customers who have used them for various projects with excellent results
- Quantity - You get a good number of beads with this product
- Size - The beads come in three different sizes
- Colors - There are 10 colors vivid which is a great variety
- Shape - The beads are multifaceted so they reflect the light
- Size - Some customers found that the beads were so small and delicate they were difficult to work with, but this would be ideal for some people
These mixed glass beads contain a variety of lampwork glass beads for various craft projects.
The pre-drilled holes are between 1 and 1.25mm in diameter which will be suitable for most charm bracelets and threading materials.
The beads also vary in size between 4mm and 20mm so you have plenty of choice when it comes to crafting.
Each bag comes with 200 random beads so you will have an interesting selection for making unique craft projects.
You can use these beads for bracelets, earrings, pin badges and much more. You can also sew them onto fabrics.
The colors are very vivid and will look striking, whatever project you choose to use them for.
They have a perfectly smooth surface which will reflect the light.
- Variety - There are different shapes, sizes and colors included
- Holes - The pre-drilled holes are suitable for different threading techniques
- Quality - The beads are high quality lampwork glass
- Damage - Some customers found that a few of the beads were damaged, possibly during delivery
This product is a collection of 100 glass beads with a beautiful flower design on them. There are 7 colors - light blue, dark blue, pink, green, red, yellow, and white.
The beads are approximately 7-8mm in size with a hole diameter of between 1 and 2 mm.
The corresponding flowers on the beads make these an ideal choice for jewelry, as you can create earrings, necklaces and bracelets that all complement each other.
The flowers are different colors that contrast with the color of the beads.
Customers have been very happy with the quality of the beads and the jewelry that they can make with them.
- Colors - There is a mixture of 7 different colors
- Size - They are all the same size which makes it easy to mix and match and make lots of jewelry
- Design - They have a pretty flower design
- Size - some customers found that the beads they were received were smaller than advertised
These beads are made to look like different natural stones for an earthy effect.
The product includes rose quarts, lapis lazuli, red coral, amethyst, turquoise, aventurine, tiger eye and many more.
They have a polished finish which makes them very shiny and smooth.
The bead sizes vary between 4 and 8 mm and all of them have pre-drilled holes about 1mm in diameter.
These beads are very versatile. You can use them for bracelets, necklaces, earrings, hair accessories and much more.
The range of colors is impressive and gives you lots of options to express your creativity and create beautiful items.
- Finish - these beads have a polished, shiny finish
- Variety - There are different stones and colors
- Sizes - They vary in size between 4 and 8mm
- Holes - the pre-drilled holes are around 1mm in diameter
- Colors - Some customers found that there were many more grays and browns than pictured and fewer of the colorful stone beads
These beads are incredibly beautiful. They are all uniform in size but vary in color and pattern, giving you a great variety to choose from.
There are 4 different styles of beads - jeweled, patterned, marbled and plain colors - with 25 of each type.
That makes 100 beads in total.
Across the different types of beads there is a mixture of colors and textures which allows you to make some really interesting and exciting pieces of jewelry.
Each bead measures around 15mm by 10 mm and has a metal lined hole that is 5mm in diameter.
This means that they are suitable for metal charm bracelets. Each style of bead is designed to be beautiful but durable, so you can make jewelry that will last.
The metal interior helps to protect the glass exterior.
- Variety - there are 4 different styles of beads
- Colors - There are various colors and textures
- Size - The size is uniform which makes it easy to mix and match
- Hole - The hole is large enough to thread onto metal charm bracelets and is lined with metal to protect the glass
- Not as pictured - some customers found that the patterns of the beads they received varied from the pictures
These tiny beads are perfect for sewing onto material. They come in lots of different colors, so you can create many different patterns and designs.
There are 3500 beads in total with 48 different colors and a mixture of 250 A-Z alphabet beads for making words and names.
This allows you to make personalized gifts and jewelry. They are only 2mm in size which is very petite and delicate.
The beads come in a storage box which has different compartments for the various colors, so you can keep your beads organized.
Also included are tweezers, a beading needle, elastic string and crystal string. His gives you everything you need to get started with some beaded bracelets.
These additional items along with the quantity of beads make this product very good value.
- Colors - There are 48 colors and various alphabet beads
- Quantity - You get 3500 beads in this set
- Storage - They come with a storage box with separate compartments
- Equipment - Tweezers, a needle, and two types of thread are included
- Size - These beads are designed to be very small, but some customers found them difficult to work with due to their delicate size
With these beads you can choose from different colors to represent various gemstones such as tiger's eye, aventurine, agate, turquoise and jade.
The beads have a highly polished surface which is shiny and reflects the light. The beads come in a mixture of sizes - 6mm, 8mm and 10mm.
They all have a pre-drilled hole that is 1mm in diameter and is suitable for various types of threading.
You can use these beads for bracelets, necklaces, jewelry, broaches, material and much more. You can order multiple colors if you want some variety.
- Finish - these beads have a highly polished finish which is very shiny
- Sizes - They come in a variety of sizes
- Hole - They all have a pre-drilled hole which is 1mm in diameter
- Color - The beads only come in one color- you would need to order multiple packs if you want more than one color
This set includes 200 lampwork glass beads with a crackle, marble effect.
They come in a storage box with separate compartments so you can keep the different colors separate.
There are 10 colors - pink, clear, black, purple, brown, green, blue, yellow, lilac and red. The beads are uniform in size- around 8mm - with a hole that is 1.3mm in diameter.
The crackle effect on these beads is really beautiful and will make your homemade craft project really stand out.
The beads also reflect the light and are very shiny and smooth. There are 20 beads of each color, so you can mix and match to create different patterns and designs.
- Quality - These beads are lampwork glass
- Pattern - They have an interesting crackle effect
- Colors - There are 10 different colors
- Size - They are uniform in size
- Colors - Some customers found that they color beads they were received was different to what was pictured
Best Glass Beads For Homemade Crafts Buying Guide
You have read all about which glass beads we recommend, but now you need to decide which ones will be best for you.
Here are some things you should consider when making your decision.
The first thing you need to decide is how many beads you are going to need.
Think about your craft project - are you making a one off piece of jewelry for a gift or do you intend to make lots of pieces of jewelry?
Perhaps you are adding beads to a fabric bag or a wall hanging. Make sure you have enough beads to create your project.
Some craft projects work well with a mixture of different beads and it doesn’t matter if no two of them are the same.
Others require beads that are the same size or the same color in order for the project to work. Make sure you consider this when you are choosing your beads.
You need to think about how you intend to thread the beads, and whether the hole is going to be the right size.
If you want to add the beads to a metal charm bracelet then you will need a much bigger hole than if you want to thread them onto elastic to make a necklace.
You may already have a storage box for your craft equipment such as beads, but if you don’t then you should consider choosing one of the products that comes with a box.
It will make it much easier for you to keep your beads organized.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are Glass Beads Breakable?
Glass beads are not particularly fragile, but that doesn’t mean that they cannot break. They are still made of glass so if you knock them or drop them they could chip.
Make sure you store them carefully.
How Do You Know Which Size Hole You Need?
You need to make sure that you choose the right size hole for the type of threading material you are going to use.
If you plan on using cotton or elastic thread then you probably need a small hole. If you want to use twine or a thicker material you will need a larger hole.
Can You Mix Glass Beads With Other Beads?
You can use a combination of different beads for your craft projects like glass beads, wooden beads, plastic beads and stone beads.
Just be aware that the different beads will have varying weights, and the heavier beads could rub up against the smaller beads and cause them to chip.
How Do You Care For Glass Beads?
Glass beads need very little maintenance. All you need to do is dust them with a soft cloth to remove any dirt.
Treat them gently to avoid scratching them. If you have jewelry made from glass beads you may want to keep it wrapped in a soft cloth so that it is not scratched by other jewelry.
If you plan on making some homemade craft projects using glass beads, you now have lots of options for different products you can try.
All of the glass beads that we have recommended come highly recommended by customers and will be perfect for different arts and crafts.
Make sure you look at the buying guide for advice on how to make sure that you choose the best glass beads for you.